2015 is finally over…
Some of us had a great year while some of us faced more trials than usual. The good news is that 2016 is here, and we have a fresh start! God’s mercies are new every morning, which also means that His mercies are new every year!
With that said, I want you to consider ditching the New Year’s resolution that you would normally make and consider embracing some ‘Soul Resolutions’ this year. Instead of making a list of resolutions that you probably won’t keep; instead, why not commit to a soul detox for 2016?
The soul detox is deeper than your usual resolution. It isn’t just a list of cumbersome goals and changes that may or may not stick. Instead, a soul detox is about a lifestyle change. It’s about changing who you are from the inside out and allowing the change to permeate every area of your life. A soul detox is about incorporating habits and disciplines that nourish the spirit and leave you feeling that it is well with your soul. Detoxing the soul starts with detoxing the mind, body and spirit.
Detoxing the Body
Choose to eat healthy in 2016! Your health and your soul are related. In the third book of John, the disciple tells the beloved of God to prosper and be in health even as their soul prospers. There is a connection between health and the soul. God doesn’t just desire for your soul to prosper; He wants your health to prosper too. Here are a few ideas for your physical detox:
– Get out of the house for fresh air and walk more.
– Drink more water. Water is life-giving.
– Eat delicious whole foods.
– Sit in the sun.
– Inhale deeply, and then exhale. Do this a few times a day.
Detoxing the Mind
Detoxing the mind requires a release of negative thoughts. Interrupt any negative loops that are replaying over and over again in your head. Choose not to meditate on what went wrong during the day, a hurtful remark, or a memory that still makes you angry. Let it all go in 2016! Replace negative thoughts with God’s word. Think about what God says about you this year.
Another powerful way to detox the mind is to go on a digital detox. Most people desperately need a digital detox! Don’t waste your time on the internet this new year. Make the most of every opportunity. Treat five minutes as if it’s an eternity. Here are a few ideas for your mind detox:
– Meditate on Jeremiah 29:11 which reads: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
– Remember the Biblical principle that you are what you think. Monitor your thoughts.
– Simplify your bookmarks. Visit a handful of websites that you really love and delete every website that you simply like.
– Simplify your online life. You don’t have to be on every social media platform. And when you log on to a platform, look at the clock and keep track of your time.
– Choose to spend less time in front of a screen and more time in front of Yeshua.
Detoxing the Spirit
Your spirit is affected by what you hear and see. Here are a few ideas for your spirit detox:
– Be careful and picky about what you watch on tv or browse on the internet.
– Choose to listen to the word of God while you’re sleeping. Stream scripture into you home with a Roku channel called the Streaming Bible.
– Read scripture every single day. Put His words in front of your eyes.
– Confess scripture every day. Speak it aloud and it will build your faith.
– Avoid the news. Don’t read horrible headlines because it affects your spirit. Detox from the news. You’ll be happier and healthier for it.
Are you going to Soul Detox this year?